- 500g beef brisket, chuck or spare rib, cut into large chunks
- ¼ lb – ½ lb of pork fat cut into strips
- 3 tbsp. of cooking oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp calamansi juice
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ¼ cup cup soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 cups beef stock
- 3 bay leaves
- 5 medium potatoes, quartered
- 1 medium sized carrot, cut into 1″ chunks
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- ½ tsp. ground black peppercorns
- Salt or patis and pepper to taste
1. Make a small incision into the center of each piece of beef and insert a piece of pork fat in the middle
2. Heat cooking oil in a pan then sauté the onion until softened and transparent.
3. Add the garlic and cook for 3 minutes, being careful not to burn it
4. Add the beef to the pan and sauté until lightly browned, about 3 minutes
5. Meanwhile, mix the tomato sauce,Tomato paste, sugar, soy sauce, beef stock and calamansi juice (or vinegar) in a large stock pot and bring to a boil.
6. When the beef is ready, add it in with the onion and garlic, bay leaves and pepper. Give everything a good stir and reduce to a simmer.
7. Cover and continue to simmer everything over low heat until the beef is tender.
8. About 1 hour, make sure there is still a good amount of liquid.
9. If there is not enough, you can add stock in ½ cup increments as needed.
10. Meanwhile, lightly fry the potatoes and carrots, set aside (optional)
11. Once the beef is tender, add in the potatoes, carrots and bell pepper and cook for about 5 minutes
12. Check everything for tenderness and, once ready, season with salt and pepper to taste.